Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready Composed Original Score
RCA/Legacy Recordings Releases Musical Companion To Documentary April 6
The HBO documentary ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER debuts SATURDAY, APRIL 14 (8:00–11:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO.
This three-hour, two-film presentation focuses on Elvis Presley the musical artist, taking the audience on a comprehensive creative journey from his childhood through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions. The films include stunning atmospheric shots taken inside Graceland, Elvis’ iconic home, and feature more than 20 new, primary source interviews with session players, producers, engineers, directors and other artists who knew him or who were profoundly influenced by him. The documentary also features never-before-seen photos and footage from private collections worldwide, and includes an original musical score composed by Pearl Jam lead guitarist Mike McCready.
As previously announced by SXSW, Priscilla Presley, David Porter (legendary Memphis music writer and producer), Thom Zimny (director), Jon Landau (producer) and moderator John Jackson (SVP A&R, Sony Music) will discuss the film, the cultural impact of Elvis’ music and how that impact became the embodiment of rock’n’roll at the 2018 SXSW Festival in March. The panel is expected to cover:
- how Elvis found inspiration in black and white gospel music of Tupelo
- his early experience with the great African-American blues and r’n’b of Memphis
- his evolution as an artist with Sam Phillips
- the creative impact of his time serving in the U.S. Army in Germany
- the creative highs and lows of his career in the 1960s, culminating in the triumphant ’68 special
- an assessment of Elvis as a performing artist in the early ’70s, featuring a discussion of Jon Landau‘s seminal 1971 review of Elvis in concert
- a discussion of the interviews conducted for the film, including insights into the conversations with Scotty Moore, Red West, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty, among others
insight into the creation of the film’s score by Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready
- an inquiry into the artistic and personal struggles that preceded his death in 1977
RCA/Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release “Elvis Presley: The Searcher”, the musical companion to the HBO/The HBO Documentary 'Elvis Presley: The Searcher' Debuts Saturday, April 14 on HBO Pictures documentary, on Friday, April 6. It will be available in digital and physical configurations.
ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER is an HBO Documentary Films Presentation in association with Sony Pictures Television; executive producers, Glen Zipper, Priscilla Presley, Jerry Schilling, Andrew Solt, Alan Gasmer and Jamie Salter (chairman and CEO, Authentic Brands Group); producers, Jon Landau and Kary Antholis; directed and produced by Thom Zimny.